Fix Your Garage Door
NOTE: This page contains Amazon.com affiliate links that may compensate the owner of this site - but they do not impact the price you pay. Learn More.
Touch a part to learn how to repair it.
|Cable/ Drum||Door Opener||End Bearing|
|Door Seal||Door Panels||Door Chain|
|Light Sensor||Remote Control||Wall Station|
Need Replacement Parts? Find Them Here
How To Inspect Your Garage Door System (by Lowe’s)
An introduction to maintaining your garage door, produced by Lowe’s.
How To Operate and Maintain Your Garage Door
This great overview was produced by GarageDoorCare.com and the International Door Association (IDA).
Common Tools Used In Garage Door Repairs
Most garage door repairs can be accomplished with the following tools:
- two step ladders are recommended for leveling tasks
- a ratchet set
- full set of screwdrivers (flat head and Phillips head)
- vice grips
- a good set of pliers
- crescent wrench
- rubber mallet (for dislodging a stuck door)
- work gloves to protect from pinching
- safety glasses (you may be looking up a lot)
- wire cutter/stripper and electrical tape (if electrical work is involved)
NOTE: 2 people should always be used to install, adjust or remove a garage door.
Jobs For Professionals Only
The following garage door repairs are best suited for a local trained professional.
- complete door installation or replacement
- electrical failures or shorts
- repairing fire damage
- removal of heavy garage doors made of real hardwood, iron, glass, et al
- enlarging or reducing the size of your garage door – frame and structural work may be required
- the door is jammed so tightly that two people cannot release it
- anything you feel uncomfortable tackling yourself
Need A Local Professional?
Hire one on Amazon Home Services:
- repair your garage door
- replace garage door parts
- get an fair, fixed-price bid
- pre-screened contractors
- money-back guarantee